While we spread awareness on TBI, you can play a part in bettering the situation on the Indian roads. Here are some things you can do as a responsible citizen:
1. Wear helmets and fasten your seat belts. This includes pillion riders and rear seat passengers.
2. Be responsible while driving: Don’t consume alcohol or drugs, refrain from using your mobile phones entirely, and follow all traffic rules (even if others don’t).
3. If you are trained in First Aid, stop to help accident victims. If you’re not trained, you can still play an important role by informing the police or ambulance, and help in cordoning the area from traffic.
4. As a pedestrian, be alert. Pay attention to traffic lights, cross the road at zebra crossings, and use over-bridges, underpasses and footpaths where possible.
5. Report road faults, faulty traffic lights and law breakers on the Traffic Police website.
6. Don’t bribe policemen if you break the law. Report errant enforcement personnel if you witness them taking bribes.
7. Educate friends and family on road rules and safety procedures. Set an example.
8. Advice the injured that all head injuries must be examined at a hospital, however minor they may be.
9. Participate in peaceful demonstrations conducted by IHIF and other NGOs, to ask for safer roads, the passing of laws and other necessary steps.
10. Be a Good Samaritan. Someday, someone may return the good deed when you need it most.
Tips for Drivers –
1. Keep a minimum of 2 to 3 seconds between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.
2. If you’re on a two-wheeler, don’t zig-zag.
3. Be aware of all the controls in your vehicle.
4. Learn the meanings of all road signs and signals.
5. Give indicators well in advance,with a minimum of 10 seconds before an action.
6. Focus on the road ahead, not on co-passengers or gadgets in the vehicle..
7. Refrain from using your mobile phones.
8. Don’t drink while driving or drive after you’ve consumed alcohol.
9. Side view mirrors are for use, not for decoration.
10. Give way to uphill traffic.
11. Overtake only from right side and maintain the speed limit.
12. Avoid road rage under all circumstances.
13. Drive in your lane.
14. Remember that pedestrians have the right of way at zebra crossings.